Weirton - 3500
version of above picture is located at United Bank in downtown Weirton.
This photo was donated to the Weirton Area Museum & Cultural Center by Kenny Smith, who
once lived in this vicinity near the Steel & Wolfe Funeral Home. The license plate on the car tells
us that this photo was taken in 1940 or 1941. Rudy Kusic purchased the corner lot from J. Alfred
Mildren and on May 30, 1940, he opened his Gulf Station shown in the picture. The island in the
middle of Main Street was most likely put in to cover the place, where the trolley car tracks once
were. Trolley service was ended in 1938.